Did I tell you I LOVE data? In my last salaried job in clinical analytics and informatics, I transformed raw clinical data into information and knowledge which was very helpful in decision-making and strategy. So it should come as no surprise that I apply these same skills to Vintage Projects.
I used Google Trends for global analytics on the search terms, crochet, and knitting, from Jan 2003 through Nov 2019. You can see interest in knitting experienced a decline over time and a corresponding increase in crochet related searches occurred. Google Trends data is an unbiased sample of Google search data; only a percentage of searches are used to compile the Trends data.
Other Interesting Facts on Crochet and Knitting
According to The Association For Creative Industries’ (ACRI) research on craft and hobbies research in 2016, AFCI learned who the average knitters and crocheters are and the common habits they share.
- 28.8 million Americans participated in knitting and/or crochet in 2016.
- The year, the crafts represented a market of $2.79 billion, with an average monthly spend per household of $20.57.
- Knitters and crocheters are likely to also participate in other needle arts.
- 77% buy their supplies in a physical store. 4% buy outside physical stores, and 19% buy from both. (Remember, crafters are always researching new products online first, regardless of where they buy!)
- 62% give the items they craft as gifts. However, knit and crochet items are the most commonly donated crafts at 18%. 58% also keep their items.
- While 18% consider themselves experts (one of the highest percentages of any craft) the other 82% rate their skills as beginner or intermediate.
- 71% of knitters and crocheters are female. 29% are male.
- 37% are employed full-time.
- Like we mentioned, knit and crochet age ranges are fairly even across the board: 34% are 18+34, 36% are 35-54, and 30% are 55+.
Looking for That Special Extraordinary Vintage Pattern?
Shop at our Etsy Store…Vintage Projects